Thursday, April 23, 2009

golden fizz

1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz (*) Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 Egg Yolk
~4 oz Club Soda

Shake gin, simple, lemon, and egg once without ice and once with ice. Double strain into a highball glass. Top off with club soda, add straw and gently stir. (*) I would recommend using a lot less simple, such as 1/4 oz. CocktailDB's ratio is 1 oz lemon juice to 1 tsp sugar.

For my second beverage on Tuesday at Drink, I asked Josey Packard for a flip. One idea she came up with was a Golden Fizz which was a drink I had always read about but never had. Therefore, I gave her the thumbs up. In essence, it's a Tom Collins with an egg yolk (goldens are yolk, silvers are egg white, and royals are whole egg). As Josey was making the drink, she straw tasted it and felt that the sweetness needed to be upped from 1/2 to 3/4 oz simple syrup. She commented how the egg yolk hid the taste of sweet so she thought it needed some adjustment. Indeed, for the first few sips it was very citrussy. However, as my tastebuds acclimated, the sweetness took over in the drink. Probably for my palate, I would have preferred less (1/4 oz) instead of more simple syrup more akin to the classic recipe; however, for a younger sweet-toothed drinker, the higher ratio might be preferable. The egg yolk gave a delightfully rich mouthfeel which was different in sensation from an egg white's thicker and frothier one.

The people nearby me asked Josey what she had made me. I was hoping that it would catch on like I have seen other drinks do, such as the Moscow Mule or Mojito which can spread across the bar as a drink request. Unfortunately, the egg aspect might have deterred them from giving such a classic a try.

2 comments:

Tony Harion said...

Yes, people fear eggs in drinks…I´m sorry for them...

frederic said...

I used to fear them. Well at first I didn't until I had a bad egg experience early on (it made the drink smell a lot like raw egg which was kind of gross) and then it took over a year to give it another go and everything has been positive since then.