Tuesday, April 28, 2009

prickly pear

2 oz Reposado Tequila (Milagro)
1 oz Pear Liqueur (Rothman & Winter Orchard Pear)
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

On Sunday, we were in Jamaica Plain so we stopped into Blanchards and spotted the Rothman and Winter Orchard Pear liqueur. Andrea had been wanting a pear brandy or liqueur for a while so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. Once we got home, I had to figure out what to do with it. Having no good starting point, I went to the recipe page on the Haus Alpenz (the distributer) site and chose the Prickly Pear as a good deck drink given the unseasonably warm weather that day.
The pear liqueur gives a subtle sweetness and pear flavor to this Margarita variant. The tequila and lime juice seem to overwhelm the pear a bit so perhaps it was not the best showcase for the liqueur itself. However, it does make for an interesting combination that smells and tastes like cactus fruit, and the drink was rather refreshing and tasty overall.

One drink I found on the web intrigues me. It's the Statesman created at Bourbon and Branch. While they do not list the proportions, the ingredients are gin, R&W Orchard Pear, Green Chartreuse, and orange bitters. My go to starting ratio might be 4:1:1:1 dash, although the Eastern Standard standard of 2:1:1, or a more gentle 4:2:1 might work rather well too.

Postnote 11/9/11: The Statesman recipe can be found here.

5 comments:

Craig said...

I've been curious about pear liqueurs myself. I've been wanting to make a drink called "Peach, Plum, Pear" (it's the name of a song...) combining some of the strangest items in my home bar: Slivovitz plum eau-de-vie, RinQuinQuin peach quinquina, and something pear-flavored. I thought about using some type of clear poire william, but two eau-de-vie doesn't seem like the best way to go, so I've been thinking about a pear liqueur to bring some sweetness and body to the mix. Belle be Brillet is pretty expensive, and I'm wondering how the Rothman compares to it.

frederic said...

I believe Belle de Brillet is a pear brandy and the R&W Orchard Pear is a liqueur (as is the Mathilde). The Orchard Pear is $25 to BdB's $45.

Craig said...

Yeah, Belle de Brillet is cognac flavored with pear "essence," and I think Rothman/Mathilde are both pear distillate sweetened/thickened with sugar. I think my drink needs the latter, and Mathilde is sold in 375 bottles which is probably better for my purposes anyhow.

BTW, you're the guy who developed the smoking ban bitters, right?

frederic said...

The Smoking Ban Bitters are my recipe. Drink, Eastern Standard, and Rendezvous have them (Rendezvous has a drink, the Dutch Masters, on their menu using them).

Todd said...

Tried making a Statesman, and I definitely recommend the 4:2:1 formulation. The R&W Pear is a pretty mild flavor and has a hard time standing up to the Green Chartreuse. If I make it again, I may ease off the Chartreuse even more, to see if the pear flavor comes through better.