Friday, May 15, 2009

bull rider

1 1/2 oz Luna Azul Reposado Tequila
3/4 oz Kahlua
1/2 oz Santa Maria al Monte Amaro

Stir with ice and pour into a rocks glass. Add a wide lemon twist and a pair of straws.

On Thursday, I went to Rendezvous and asked bartender Scott Holliday if there were any drinks he was excited about showing me. One he thought of was invented by the other bartender there, Jason. The drink is a take on the classic Brave Bull which is 2 parts tequila to one part Kahlua, but with an added twist. The extra ingredient is the funky Alpine amaro S. Maria al Monte that I wrote about when I had the Rude Boy. In the Rude Boy, it added a lot of mint and menthol notes to the drink. In the Bull Rider, it mingled with the rich notes in the Kahlua such that it "somehow all tastes like a Tootsie Roll" according to Scott. Indeed it did. The drink had a pleasant lemon nose that lead in to the spiciness of the tequila. The end of the sip had a rich and complex swallow to it.

1 comment:

Observational Gastrophysicist said...

Scott made me one a few months back after I kept needling him for a tequila cocktail, and I was immediately smitten. Glad to see it has a name now.

-Mike