Monday, November 16, 2009

bronx golden

1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin
1/2 oz Dry Vermouth
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
3/4 oz Orange Juice
1 Egg Yolk

Shake one round without ice and one round with. Strain into a wine glass.

For my second cocktail at Green Street, I asked Derric Crothers to make me the Bronx Golden off of the big cocktail menu. This classic cocktail was one that I had neglected to try despite seeing it countless times in my recipe searches at home. I have had a variant of the Bronx at Craigie on Main, but never the traditional Bronx much less a "golden" or egg yolk-laden one. Perhaps the Bronx itself was in my mind after making the vaguely similar Beaux Arts at home a little over a week ago.

The Bronx Golden had a very strong orange juice nose and packed a rather dry orange flavor in the sip. The slight bit of sweetness in the drink stemmed from the freshly squeezed orange juice and the half ounce of sweet vermouth. Moreover, the orange flavor was pleasantly complemented by the herbalness from the gin and vermouths. Meanwhile, the egg yolk donated a nice head and rich mouthfeel to the cocktail similar to egg whites; however, unlike egg whites, the egg yolk did not dull out the drink. The drink did somehow surpass the mental concept of a perfect Martini jazzed up with orange juice and an egg yolk and I could see how it gained such popularity before Prohibition.

No comments: