Saturday, December 12, 2009

the remedy

1 oz Sazerac 6 Year Rye
3/4 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/4 oz Fernet Branca

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
On Thursday night, Andrea and I headed down to Franklin Southie for the St. Germain Industry Night event. There were seven St. Germain drinks on the menu created especially for this event. The one that called out to me was the Remedy. I was not sure whether it would be a trainwreck given that the ingredients included the often domineering Fernet Branca. Luckily, it was not for the proportions were just right such that the Fernet complemented the elderflower flavors in the St. Germain. The drink was created by Joy Richard, the bar manager, and served to me by Peter Cipirini, one of the other bartenders at the Franklin. The cocktail started off with a lemon nose from the twist with hints of rye and menthol. The St. Germain was the most dominant flavor in the mix and the Fernet Branca seemed to bolster these notes. Indeed, the transition from one liqueur to the other was almost seamless. At the end of the swallow, the Sazerac rye notes appeared and rounded out the drink.

Andrea chose the St-Argent, another Joy Richard original, which she rather liked. I thought it was a bit too Campari heavy and I would have switched the recipe to 3:2:1 ratio instead of the equal parts one below. A little bit more St. Germain would have worked to tame the Campari in my mind. Andrea, however, being a bigger Campari fan, thought it was fine as is.
St-Argent
• 1 oz Milagro Silver Tequila
• 1 oz St. Germain
• 1 oz Campari
Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
Andrea was also delighted by the free St. Germain swag Kate, the St. Germain rep, was handing out, including St. Germain wrapping paper and booklets of vintage erotica postcards!

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Also being a Campari fan, I'd say the St-Argent was pretty good.

I'd worry that a 3:2:1 would end up with a drink that's too sweet.

Agreed that the remedy was tasty and balanced though -- and I had no idea there was swag being handed out! Argh..

frederic said...

Perhaps, but it still would be drier than the Remedy which wasn't overly sweet.

Then again, I based my opinion off of the sip or two I had of Andrea's drink. It might have been the contrast from my Remedy to her St-Argent.

helena said...

i just made St-Argent: what a terrific drink: i upped tequila a bit. I found St-Germain is playing sort of supporting role here but how it plays! Wow!