Monday, December 28, 2009

peanut malt flip

2 oz Macallan 12 Year Scotch
3/4 oz Cream
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 tsp Peanut Butter
1 Egg Yolk

Shake once without ice and once with. Strain into a wine glass and garnish with grated nutmeg.

On Sunday night after seeing Sleep No More for a second time, Andrea and I decided to catch a nightcap or two at Green Street before heading home. The drink that called out to me due to a discussion on Chowhound of how well Scotch and peanut butter flavors go together was Angus Winchester's Peanut Malt Flip. The combination of ingredients does sound a bit iffy, but the flavor result was worth the risk. The flip's nose was replete with peanut and nutmeg aromas. Moreover, the peanut was one of the first flavors detectable on the sip and was followed by the heat and smoke of the Scotch on the swallow. The egg yolk and milk added a great richness and helped to round out the edges of the drink. In fact, the more I drank of it, the more I had to confirm that Scotch and peanut butter are a match made in cocktail heaven and I then understand why Castries Peanut Rum Crème was invented. When Andrea had a sip, she thought it tasted like the inside of a Baby Ruth candy bar due to the malt and peanut butter notes.

2 comments:

Ben Alpers said...

This one is really good! Though I love single malts, I usually don't like Scotch in cocktails. I would never have thought of mixing Scotch and peanut butter, but they do go together wonderfully. I made this with Dalwhinnie (the other Scotches currently in my liquor cabinet are Laphroiag, Ardbeg, and Talisker, all of which are a bit too assertive for this purpose).

frederic said...

With the egg and cream in the recipe, the assertiveness of the Scotch is taken down a notch, although I am guessing that it would still be rather tasty even with a blended Scotch.