Saturday, January 30, 2010

double standard

1 oz Old Overholt Rye
1 oz Plymouth Gin
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Raspberry Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.
To follow up the Earl Grey MarTEAni I had at Green Street on Sunday night, I asked Derric Crothers to make me the Double Standard. The drink started with a lime nose, and the lime's tartness rang out strongly through each sip. I was curious as to why the drink was so tart and I asked Derric about how Green Street makes their raspberry syrup. Turns out that unlike the one we make which is simple syrup-like in sugar content, theirs is more of a puree with only a small amount of sweetness added. Perhaps this is due to how quickly they go through each batch (ours uses the high sugar content and a bit of vodka to stabilize it against mold). Therefore, the raspberry syrup donated the berry flavor but left the drink pleasantly on the dry side. The rye with the gin botanicals appeared at the end of the sip and lingered on in the swallow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.. I am not sure how to email you directly so I am just leaving a comment on an old post. Are you interested in going to Go Whiskey Weekend in Westborough, MA? I like whiskey but none of my friends do (or they can't go that weekend). I'm going to go on my own anyhow but it would be nice to go with someone too. Are any of you up for it? I can be emailed through my username @ livejournal.com address.

http://www.juliosliquors.com/WAGG2013/GOWW2013.html

In the meantime, I'm enjoying flipping through your blog though my home bar isn't well-stocked enough to try making these at home yet.

Fitfool