Monday, June 21, 2010

between the sheets

3/4 oz Pierre Ferrand Cognac
3/4 oz Matusalem Rum
3/4 oz Cointreau
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Last Sunday, Andrea and I went over to Green Street to pay Derric and Dylan a visit. For my first drink, I asked Derric Crothers to make me a Between the Sheets off of the big A-to-Z menu. It is a drink I have had before a few years ago (at Cucchi Cucchi of all places), but I have never written about here. Well, I did write about it in the Mixology Monday posting about the Hoop La for the two are identical save for the Hoop La having Lillet in place of the Between the Sheet's rum. Both could be considered "+1" versions of the Sidecar, and the Between the Sheets dates back to a similar time period of the 1920s or 1930s.
The drink started with a lot of lemon oil on the nose from the twist along with hints of orange from the Cointreau. Brandy and lemon appeared on the sip, rum notes in the middle, and the Cointreau followed up the flavors on the swallow. While the Between the Sheets is a stiffer drink than the Hoop La, it does it at the cost of citrus complexity.

2 comments:

erik.ellestad said...

Reminder, that's like a Dale DeGroff Between the Sheets. The original is not at all an equal parts cocktail: Between-The-Sheets Cocktail
1 Dash Lemon Juice.
1/3 Brandy.
1/3 Cointreau.
1/3 Bacardi Rum.
Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

frederic said...

Thanks for posting the original recipe -- I wrote the entry at work where I was separated from my library. Cafe Royal has your recipe (although 1934 Boothby has it as a gin-not-brandy no lemon juice recipe?).

Although I would disagree that the more modern recipe has been DeGroffified for it is drier than the original And the DeGroff version uses Benedictine, not rum, in his non-equal parts recipe.