Friday, July 30, 2010

chartreuse swizzle

2 oz Green Chartreuse
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1 tsp (1/6 oz) J. Wray and Nephew Rum
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Add ingredients to a Collins glass full of crushed ice. Swizzle to mix, lavishly garnish with mint, and add straw.

Each night at Tales of the Cocktail, some of my fellow bloggers at the Mixo House ended our evening with a Chartreuse Swizzle. The recipe above was modified by Gabe and the original can be found in the recently released Left Coast Libations book. Besides some differences in the proportions and the addition of a splash of J.Wray, ours was made in a more communal fashion -- served in a flower vase for each 4 to 5 people. It was a great way to decompress from a busy night out (or busy night in at the Mixo House events).
I believe this self-portrait photo was taken late Thursday evening with Gabe at 9 o'clock, Rick at 12, Stevie at 3, and myself at 6. I was quoted on Friday night while barbacking for Blair during his Trader Tiki Syrups night as saying, "These people [the last stragglers at the bar] are between me and my swizzle." Indeed, Gabe's swizzle made for an amazingly satisfying shift drink.

4 comments:

Tony Harion said...

I could swear there was a hellofalot more rum there…

Tasty stuff!!!

I have to say it was one of my favorites during tales, but I guess the great company did help a lot..

frederic said...

The original would have no rum, and a measure of J.Wray should count as almost 2 measures of normal rum...

Unknown said...

It is much to my chagrin that I had to exclude the grated nutmeg from the MixoHaus series of Chartreuse Swizzles but it deserves to be in the drink.

The JWNO proved a surprisingly good addition so hats off to Rick (naturally) for that recommendation.

And Tony, to your point, the final night's versions had the dregs of Coruba and Lemon Hart 151 bottles in them since the remainders in those bottles were so scant it wasn't worth hauling them home the following day. So, they're apocryphal and never to be spoken of again.

Tiare said...

One of the best cocktails ever made..and most fun to drink when served in a vase.

Adding JWtray to it is most natural.

Next time i`ll also add a small splash of Ting, you wait and see.