Monday, September 6, 2010

[claremont hotel]

2 1/2 oz Old Overholt Rye
1/2 oz Peach Simple Syrup
1 dash Nasturtium Bitters (*)

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass rinsed with Mathilde Pêches liqueur. Twist a lemon peel over the top. (*) For a bitters substitute, either a dash of Angostura Orange or a split of another orange bitters coupled with Fee's Aromatic or Whiskey Aged Bitters for the cinnamon notes. Perhaps Bittermens' Boston Bittahs for the floral notes.

For my second drink at the Sunday Salon, I asked bartender Ben Sandrof what whiskey ideas he had. When he suggested a Slope, I replied that I was suffering apricot liqueur fatigue and wondered if he had a similar idea with a different liqueur. Instead of a liqueur, Ben utilized the peach syrup he used in the CLT Peche highball and supplemented it with a small amount of peach liqueur.
My nose was greeted by lemon oil and a rich peach aroma. The sip contained the rye's spicy malt flavors, and this was followed by peach notes as well as cinnamon from the bitters. When I gave Andrea a taste, she commented that it was "like an alcoholic peach cobbler!"

No comments: