Tuesday, September 28, 2010

scotland the brave

2 oz Laphroaig 10 Years Old Scotch
3/4 oz Fernet Branca
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Mathilde XO Orange Liqueur

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Flame an orange peel over the top and discard.
When bartender Ted Kilpatrick asked if I had a direction for my nightcap drink, I mentioned that I had not had any whiskey drinks in a while. When I suggested rye or Bourbon, Ted asked if Scotch was fine. The drink Ted made me was entitled Scotland the Brave after the unofficial national anthem of Scotland, and the concept reminded me slightly of Russell House Tavern's Scottish Play. The cocktail's nose was orange from the twist and the peaty malt of the Scotch. On the sip, the most notable flavor combination was how well the Fernet and the Laphroaig's smokiness matched up. The Punt e Mes paired well with the Fernet, but alas, I could not detect the orange liqueur very well. When I mentioned this to Ted, he commented that the Mathilde Orange functions to soften the drink, and its flavors integrate with the Punt e Mes rather well; furthermore, the orange liqueur and Punt e Mes were transcendent components of the drink. Indeed, the Scotland the Brave did serve as a great last drink of the night.

No comments: