Wednesday, January 5, 2011

caledonian

2 oz Dewar's Blended Scotch
1 oz Rooibos Tea Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Orange Juice
6 drop Pimento Dram

Shake with ice and strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice. Top with 1 oz Champagne and add a straw.

For my third drink on Christmas Eve, I asked bartender Kit Paschal for the Caledonian. Kit laughed and said that a fourth bartender should show up and make this one for it was Naomi Levy's creation. Sadly, I did not get a chance to ask Naomi about the genesis of her recipe as she was busy making drinks at the service station for the thirsty patrons seated at tables behind me. No doubt that the whisky base factored into the drink being named for what the Romans called the Scottish Highlands.

The Caldonian greeted me with a smoky nose and sparkling wine aroma, and the flavor was dominated by malt, peat, allspice, and citrus. The Rooibos tea syrup contributed by softening the Scotch and complementing the citrus notes. Moreover, this softening was balanced by the crispness gained from the sparkling wine and lemon on the swallow.

2 comments:

Hunter Orahood said...

The Caledonian is also a cocktail that is a brandy alexander with egg... Basically an Alexander Flip. I found that out when I wanted to name a cocktail The Caledonia and a friend brought it to my attention. This one that you drank looks really good too.

The Caledonia was the name of the ship that brought the Laird family to the US from Scotland... They took there distilling knowledge and came up with a glorious product called applejack (basically distilled hard apple cider), which is the base for my dark sumptuous concoction :)

cheers!

frederic said...

I know I have seen the drink name before, but I couldn't place it (it might be a 3rd drink). I also recently saw a recipe for an Alexander that was made room temperature, and it too had a different name.

Since the bartender making this drink was a different one than the one who created it, I didn't inquire as to the etymology of "Caledonian." I'll try to remember the next time I see her.