Wednesday, February 9, 2011

new orleans golden fizz

1 1/2 oz Gin (Bombay Dry)
1 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 Egg Yolk
1/2 oz Cream
1 tsp Sugar (*)
3 drop Orange Blossom Water

Shake once without ice and once with ice. Add 1 1/2 oz of soda water to the bottom of a highball glass, and strain the drink over that. Top off with more soda water (1 1/2 oz) and add a straw.
(*) Perhaps increasing this to 1 1/2 or 2 tsp might provide a better balance, especially for fans of sweeter drinks.

After making the egg white-laden Pansy Flower on Friday night, I retained the yolks and went on a quest for a use of them. On CocktailDB, I spotted a recipe from Stan Jones' Complete Barguide, the New Orleans Golden Fizz, that was essentially a Ramos Gin Fizz with yolk instead of egg white. I began to wonder what a Ramos would be like without its characteristic fluffy light character that the egg white donates. The thought of an egg yolk Fizz reminded me of drinks that Josey Packard has made for me in the past at Drink, such as the Golden Fizz and the Saratoga Brace Up. Since these were great drinks, I was willing to conjure up my inner-Josey and give the New Orleans Golden Fizz a shot.
I am glad that I tried this recipe for it was a rather refreshing drink. The dual citrus and soda water donated a delightful crispness to the sip. Without the egg white to mute the flavors, the gin botanicals really stood out on the swallow. Indeed, the yolk and cream added a richness without dampening the other ingredients all that much. Overall, the drink was a little too much on the tart side for me so perhaps increasing the sugar a little might be required to balance the full jigger of lemon and lime juice. Moreover, it made me wonder if there was a need for a New Orleans Royal (full egg) Fizz to round out the genre?

2 comments:

Steveraye said...

Fred: Tx for the tip on the copper shaker...I won the auction. Steve Raye

frederic said...

Congrats! Looking forward to the definitive egg white answer soon!