Friday, June 24, 2011

final voyage

3/4 oz Smith & Cross Rum
3/4 oz Rothman & Winter Apriot Liqueur
3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Last Friday, Andrea and I traveled down to Lineage in Brookline for dinner. When I asked bartender Ryan Lotz what new drinks they had been tinkering with, he mentioned that one of them was a rum-based play on the Last Word that he and fellow bartender Brendan Pratt had come up with. Beside the Smith & Cross Rum instead of gin, they exchanged the classic's maraschino for apricot liqueur. Indeed, the ingredients list reminded me as much of the Periodista and Culross as they did the Last Word. The recipe's genesis was so recent that it lacked a name; when I considered the nautical history of the rum style, I proffered the "Final Voyage" and both Ryan and Brendan seemed pleased by that suggestion.
The Final Voyage presented itself with an apricot and lime bouquet, and the lime continued on in the semi-sweet sip. The Smith & Cross Rum began the swallow and was shortly followed by the apricot liqueur and Green Chartreuse flavors. Surprisingly, the apricot and Chartreuse mellowed the other out and neither dominated the drink's balance as I had first expected.

1 comment:

SPS said...

I've found a great many fantastic Last Word variations through your blog, so I thought I'd pass along a recipe I just encountered last night that looks to have some potential. I was at Lantern's Keep (a new-ish) spot in Midtown Manhattan and one of the barmen and I were discussing recent drinks we had enjoyed. When I told him of my love for all things Chartreuse, he pointed me towards Joaquin Simo's (of Death & Co) "Naked and Famous" which contains equal parts Del Maguey Vida Mezcal, lime, yellow Chartreuse, and Aperol. Shaken, up, lime wedge. I'm going to give it a go tonight and see what comes of it.

Cheers!