Tuesday, August 2, 2011

thai chi-chi

2 oz Belvedere Intense Vodka (*)
1 1/2 oz Housemade Cream of Coconut
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Thai Basil Syrup (**)
8 Drop Pimento Dram

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks or highball glass filled with fresh ice. Grate nutmeg over the top and garnish with a brandied cherry on a pick.
(*) Drink apparently works quite well with rum subbed here.
(**) One recipe I found online was 8 oz of boiling water added to 8 oz sugar and 3 oz of Thai basil leaves. Stir to dissolve sugar, let steep until cool, and then strain and bottle.
I think my absolute favorite drink at the Bar Room Brawl was the Thai Chi-Chi served by Portland's Teardrop. Luckily, one of the two cocktail apprentices making drinks on the Waking the Spirits Cemetery Excursion two days later was Thomas Klus, a bartender at the Teardrop, and he was able to email me the recipe for the drink off of his iPhone. The drink name seems to be a play on T'ai Chi Chih, the meditative Chinese martial arts, and with Thai elements like lime, coconut, pineapple, and Thai basil, the name switch made a lot of sense. While the drink was served to me as a Belvedere Vodka recipe, Thomas hinted that it would make a great rum drink as well. Of course, I completely missed the obvious and thanks to Sylvan of Tasty Libations for pointing it out, that the drink is based off of the Chi-Chi, the vodka-spirited Piña Colada; I completely forgot that drink existed.
Above is a photo of a Teardrop bartender making my second Thai Chi-Chi -- yes, the drink was that good, and unfortunately, it might have prevented me from giving another drink at the Brawl a try. However, I have no regrets. With one foot planted in the Painkiller camp, the drink could do no wrong. The coconut provided a rich creaminess and the Thai basil added an extra element to make the drink a bit more Asian-inspired than Caribbean.


pdxcocktails said...

That is the estimable Brian Gilbert from Teardrop in the picture. And while you didn't say explicitly in the post, I'm sure you're aware of the regular Chi-Chi (vodka, pineapple, coconut).

frederic said...

LOL - I completely missed the obvious and forgot that drink existed. Thanks for the input and I've adjusted the text accordingly (giving you credit for the save).