Monday, January 9, 2012

streets of gettysburg

1 1/4 oz Lustau Dry Amontillado Sherry
1 oz Rittenhouse 100 Rye
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Galliano Ristretto
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Twist an orange peel over the top and discard.

After Backbar, I made my over to Central Square where I was meeting Andrea for dinner later on in the evening. In the meantime, I stopped in at Brick and Mortar and I found a seat in front of bartender Evan Harrison. For a first drink, I asked for the Streets of Gettysburg; when I inquired about the name, owner Patrick Sullivan had apparently spotted it as the caption to a friend's photo on Facebook, and bartender Misty Kalkofen grabbed it from the drink name notebook for her creation.
The Streets of Gettysburg's aroma began with orange notes from the twist and coffee ones from the Ristretto liqueur; later, the sherry notes stepped forward in the nose. The sherry's grape combined with the rye's grain notes on the sip, and the swallow offered the amontillado's nuttiness, the dark roast of the coffee liqueur, and the herbal spice of the Benedictine and Angostura. Indeed, the trio of sherry, Benedictine, and Ristretto worked well here as they did in Eric Alperin's tequila-based Bebida de Puebla.

No comments: