Wednesday, February 15, 2012

swamp water fix

1 1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1 oz Batavia Arrack
1/2 oz Pineapple Syrup
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Lime Juice
2 drop Bitter Truth Celery Bitters

Build in a water goblet. Fill with crushed ice and swizzle to mix. Insert a wide lime twist in the glass, top with ice, and add a straw.
For my second drink at No. 9 Park, I was envious of the one Andrea started with, namely the Swamp Water Fix. When I inquired about its origins, bartender Ted Kilpatrick described how an a middle-aged couple came into bar and spotted the bottle of Green Chartreuse. They asked Ted if he could make a Swamp Water which was a libation they used to have at the Rathskeller (now where Eastern Standard is) that contained Green Chartreuse and pineapple juice (and according to the vintage 1977 ad below, also lime juice). To more firmly support the drink's origins in the 1970s, Stan Jones' Complete Barguide is the earliest book I own to contain the recipe. Whether Ted served them the Swamp Water Fix then or created it later as an afterthought, the end result is quite stunning. Ted was quick to point out that the wide lime twist garnishing the drink is meant to resemble a serpent in the swamp water. With the green color, pineapple juice, and swamp theme, I commented that the idea reminded me of the Gator Cum drink that I was served in New Orleans in 2010, except here Green Chartreuse made for a better colorant than Midori. Moreover, I praised Ted for returning to the Fix after serving me a delightful Brandy Fix a year and a half ago.
The Swamp Water Fix presented a Green Chartreuse and lime aroma that led into a lime and pineapple sip. The swallow was funky meeting herbal with a bounty of Batavia Arrack and Green Chartreuse flavors. The pineapple returned as a lingering aftertaste that later gained a dry lime and an almost cherry-like note.

3 comments:

Tiare said...

That`s a drink in my taste! i`ll have to try this one and if i like it i`ll post it on my blog and refer to you:-) green charteuse and pineapple cannot fail...i love the chartreuse swizzle too!

frederic said...

The Batavia Arrack did take the drink in a different direction than the Chartreuse Swizzle, but with a lot of flavor overlap indeed.

Truckerkel said...

Wow! I had that Swamp water kit back in the seventies!! Wish I could find another with the gators on the napkins and glasses!. its an awesome drink