Wednesday, February 8, 2012

temporary fix

2 oz Citadelle Gin
1/2 oz Crème de Cassis
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lemon twist and add straws.

The other drink I had at Brick and Mortar was the Temporary Fix made for me by bartender Misty Kalkofen. Besides my adoration of the Fix, a classic but nearly lost and forgotten drink class, I was lured into ordering this menu item for it was in the structure of the Mississippi (or Missouri) Mule, a recipe we made from one of Duffy's cocktail books shortly after starting to make drinks at home years ago. While I did not ask Misty about how a Fix came on to the menu, I surmise that she wanted to find a good use for the small format ice machine the bar owns.
The Temporary Fix began with a lemony aroma that led into a lemon and berry sip. Most of the cassis notes came through on the swallow though; when paired with the gin's botanicals, the cassis gained an interesting bitter aspect to it.

3 comments:

Scott Diaz said...

Nice, similar to a bramble without having to muddle berries. Also a great drink for intro to gin. I'll take two please.

frederic said...

Indeed, very much like a Bramble but I always associate the Bramble with the liqueur being drizzled over the top. Never had one with muddled fruit though.

The Mississippi Mule (if you shook the drink and served it up) was a really good early gin drink for me. Not my introduction, but pretty close.

Anonymous said...

Love your cocktails!we'd love to feature your blog in Foodista's drink blog of the day. how can we get in touch with you guys :)