Saturday, March 28, 2015

americano squeeze

2 oz Punt e Mes
1 oz Aperol

Build in a Collins glass, fill with ice, and top with 3-4 oz pink grapefruit juice. Garnish with a grapefruit twist and add a straw.
After Estragon, I made the best out of my South End excursion by stopping into the Franklin Café for one last drink. There, Kitty Amann and Jay Cool were mixing up drinks for a Fernet Branca-sponsored late-night brunch event named "Fernet Branca and Flapjacks." I wanted something on the lighter side, so I requested from Jay Cool the Americano Squeeze, a play on the Americano since Aperol and Punt e Mes have a similar flavor profile as Campari and sweet vermouth as well as being a riff on the Italian Greyhound (equal parts Punt e Mes and grapefruit juice, salted rim). I originally was not going to write up such a simple drink and only took a photo for an OnTheBar check-in; however, the flavor here was so delightful and refreshing! Grapefruit oil greeted the nose and prepared the mouth for the grapefruit complemented by the fruity notes of the Aperol and the bitter and grape aspects of the Punt e Mes. While I am not usually a fan of boozy brunch drinks (other than Ramos Gin Fizzes), I could definitely see myself making or ordering one of these.

No comments: