Tuesday, August 18, 2015

kiliki cooler

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Orange Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Coffee Syrup (see inset below)
2 oz Appleton V/X Rum

Shake with ice and pour into a double old fashioned glass. Garnish with lime, orange, and pineapple slices (orange wheel and mint sprigs here).
Two Tuesdays ago, I finally had everything in order to make the Kiliki Cooler. The recipe in Beachbum Berry's Remixed always attracted me, but I did not have coffee syrup in house. Finally, I got tired of having this drink mock me, and I followed the syrup-making directions in Remixed (although I could have purchased some as well) as such:
Coffee Syrup
• 2 oz Medium Roast Coffee Beans, cracked
• 4 oz Brandy (used rum instead)
• 3 oz Brown Sugar
• 3 oz Water
Steep the coffee beans in the spirit for 3-4 days and then strain. Make a syrup with the brown sugar and water. Combine. Note: this is a four-fold scale down from the book's recipe.
The Cooler itself was created in 2006 for the Florida Hukilau convention, and it was named after convention host Christie "Tiki Kiliki" White. When all the pieces came together, the Kiliki Cooler proffered an orange, mint, and coffee aroma. On the palate, the sip presented roasted notes accented by the lime's crispness, and the swallow gave forth rum, pineapple, and coffee flavors with passion fruit notes and lime tartness on the finish. In retrospect, utilizing a decent coffee liqueur would have worked just as well here, but I am glad that I followed the recipe as close as I could the first time through.

No comments: