Thursday, August 13, 2015

unique bird

2 oz Rhum Agricole (Vale d' Paul Aguardente Nova de Santo Antão)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Gomme Syrup (Pineapple Syrup)
1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Thursdays ago, I turned to Paul Clarke's The Cocktail Chronicles for a drink. One of the ones that I had on my short list was the Unique Bird by Connor O'Brien that he created at Rumba in Seattle. I was curious for it reminded me of Chris Danforth's rum and Yellow Chartreuse Jungle Bird riff, A Bird Called Rufus, and I wanted to see how this combination of ingredients worked out.
The Unique Bird offered grassy and pineapple aromas to the nose. While the sip was filled with lime and fruity notes from the pineapple, the swallow began with funky rum and ended with herbal accents and a light pineapple finish. Overall, it was more subtle and grassy and less bitter than the classic Jungle Bird and closer to a satisfying Daiquiri or Daisy de Santiago.

No comments: