Friday, April 15, 2016

martinique swizzle

2 oz Martinique Rum (Depaz Blue Cane)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 tsp Sugar (1/2 oz Simple Syrup)
1 dash Pernod or Herbsaint (1 slight bsp Herbsaint)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Build in a 14 oz glass, fill with shaved ice (crushed ice), and swizzle to mix and chill.

Last Friday, I began my tribute to the Swizzle in honor of the Mixology Monday that I am hosting. I am doing the next 4 posts out of temporal order to get them out there before the event's end date of the 18th. For a start point, I turned to Trader Vic's 1946 Book of Food & Drink where I spotted the Martinique Swizzle. This recipe did not veer too far from the classic spirits, citrus, sugar, and sometimes bitters format, but it included an absinthe substitute as well and opted for a grassy rum.
The Martinique Swizzle proffered a grassy and anise aroma that came across as an almost minty note. Next, lemon on the sip led into a grassy rum that blended elegantly into the herbal Herbsaint and bitters elements on the swallow. Again, that minty note from the aroma was replicated on the finish.

No comments: