Thursday, May 13, 2010

bonnie prince charles

1 1/2 oz Cognac (Château de Plassons VSOP Cognac)
3/4 oz Drambuie
Juice of 1/2 Lime (3/8-1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Metexa, Andrea was in the mood for a Cognac drink, so I found the Bonnie Prince Charles in Patrick Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual. I had been wanting to make this drink for a while as it would complete the trilogy of Drambuie drinks that make reference to the Prince Charles Edward Stuart and Captain John MacKinnon lore. The most famous would be the Prince Edward (link describes a tequila variation instead of Scotch) and the MacKinnon (link contains a good retelling of the lore).
Honey and heather from the Drambiue filled the nose of the Bonnie Prince Charles cocktail. The sip started with a sweet lime flavor followed by Scotch with lime's crispness on the swallow. Moreover, the Drambuie donated a nice richness and a touch of smokiness to the drink. My memory could be failing me, but this might be the first or at least one of the few Cognac-lime cocktails I have had, and the combination seemed pretty successful given this recipe.

1 comment:

SPS said...

At first I thought your post was an homage to Bonnie Prince Billy (singer/actor). When I realized it wasn't I began to wonder what a cocktail in his likeness might look/taste like. I'll have to work on making that happen. So, um, thanks for the inadvertent inspiration.

And here are two other lime/Cognac recipes that I've had varying degrees of success with:

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2009/05/05/3030-19-the-zamboanga-zeinie-cocktail/

http://looka.gumbopages.com/2007/10/30/the-moorehead-cocktail/