Wednesday, November 18, 2020

geneva

2/3 jigger Sherry (1 1/2 oz Lustau Amontillado)
1/3 jigger Italian Vermouth (3/4 oz Cocchi Sweet)
1 dash Apricot Liqueur (1/4 oz Rothman & Winter)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.

Two Wednesdays ago, I decided to start participating in Sherry Week 2020, and I found the Geneva in the wine section of Pioneers of Mixing from Elite Bars: 1903-1933. To accompany the drink, I composed a Haiku to complement the experience (Sherrykus were requested by the week's host): Crisp autumn evening/I need a nutty cocktail/Amontillado. Since Amontillado and apricot liqueur have proven to be a great pairing such as in the Apricottage and Repossession, I went with that as the answer to recipe's vague call of sherry.
The Geneva flowed to the nose with an orange and apricot waft. Next, grape with a hint of orchard fruit on the sip entered into a nutty sherry and herbal swallow with an apricot finish.

No comments: