Friday, February 6, 2009

agave punch

2 oz Sauza Tequila
1/2 oz Ruby Port
1/2 oz Orange Juice
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and pour into a rocks glass, ice and all. Garnish with an orange wedge. Measurements were estimates since they were all free poured.

Last night, Andrea and I went over to the Highland Kitchen to meet up with Scott Holliday for his post-work drink. Behind the bar were Joe McGuirk and Beau, and I asked Joe to make me the Agave Punch off of their menu. It would normally be a drink I would not be interested in ordering; however, the presence of the ruby port intrigued me especially in conjunction with the tequila. The port did serve to provide a nice mouth-fullness to the drink that would have otherwise been a thinner tequila sour. Moreover, it also added some depth and complexity to the fruit flavors. The one recipe I found online for this drink had an upped amount of citrus and simple syrup (with a very similar ratio between the three), and about the same amount of tequila and port as the recipe above. I think the pleasant effect of the port would have been lost in that recipe as opposed to the one Joe made me, so the modification was rather appreciated.

2 comments:

cherie... said...

yum!
may be making some of this later for my daughter's 24th birthday and housewarming...thanks for sharing x

frederic said...

Enjoy! In case you're wondering what the recipe I found online is, it's:

Agave Punch
• 1 1/2 oz tequila
• 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 oz simple syrup
• 2 oz fresh orange juice
• 1/2 oz ruby port
• orange slices for garnish
• 2 dark grapes for garnish

A bit more juice and simple syrup heavy (relative to the tequila and port), so depending on what focus your collective taste buds are after...