Thursday, February 5, 2009

the tommy noble

1 1/4 oz Plymouth Gin
1 1/4 oz Pimm's No. 1
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 dash Housemade Aromatic Bitters

Shake with ice. Twist orange rind over an empty cocktail glass and rim the edge, strain the ingredients into the glass, and drop the peel in.

Last night after a dinner at Grasshopper, Andrea and I went over to Deep Ellum where Max Toste was bartending (Max is often at the stick on Mondays and Wednesdays). When Max handed us the drink menu, he mentioned that there were a few new cocktails on the list. The Tommy Noble was the one that called out to me first. My research today tells me that the recipe originated at the B-Side, created by Dave Cagle, and is named after a notoriously bad British boxer who fought 180 times in the 1910s through 1930s. I knew that the name had something to do with the UK given the presence of Pimm's in the ingredient list.

The first sensations of this drink was the vibrant orange oil nose which lingers for the first few sips. Besides that, the drink itself had a nice citrus bite and was rather nice and dry. Max commented that the Pimm's works well with his aromatic bitters which contain allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, gentian, and other botanicals. I would have to agree.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

great drink! I had it at the b-side many times, one of my favorites.

Nate said...

I made this 3-4 times w/o the orange peel and it was very good, but the orange on the rim puts it over the top. Wow.

Unknown said...

Now he's Johnny Hammersticks hammerin' away like he's friggin Tommy Noble