Monday, March 9, 2009

shiver

1 1/2 oz Campari
1 1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange slice.

On Sunday, Andrea and I went to Chez Henri to try their Cuban sandwich (veggie Cuban for me) and have a drink or two. We sat at the bar where B-Side alum Rob not-Kraemer was presiding. I picked my first drink, a Chez Henri original -- the Shiver, off of their cocktail list. I have noted before how well Campari and grapefruit work with each other and in the Shiver, it was no exception. The Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir added some rather gin-like accents to the drink and this added to the bite of the grapefruit juice and the complexity of the Campari. The Shiver not only served as a rather good apertif but held up to the food once the sandwiches arrived.

1 comment:

EvergreenDan said...

I've started making these and they are unspeakably delicious. It bitter enough to drink slowly, very interesting with the Douglas Fir, and pleasant with the fresh grapefruit. I made one for myself and my friend (who's an exec chef at a well-known restaurant) tried it. I had to make another for me. And then later two more for us.

The Douglas Fir is expensive, though. And its delicious neat, too.

Thanks for posting.