Tuesday, December 29, 2009

parisian orchid

1 oz Vodka (CapRock Organic Gin)
1 oz St. Germain Elderberry Liqueur
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
For my second drink at Green Street on Sunday night, I requested the Parisian Orchid from bartender Derric Crothers. When I asked if I could specify the vodka, he answered in the affirmative. Derric looked baffled for a moment when I called for "Bombay London Dry Vodka", a juniper berry-flavored vodka, but was enthusiastic about it once the concept sunk in. He laughed and commented that most people complain that there are not enough vodka drinks on the Green Street menu. Dylan Black overheard the conversation and asked if I wanted to switch my vodka brand to CapRock Gin, an organic gin made from a base spirit distilled from Jonathon and Braeburn apples. After having a taste of it straight, it seemed like a good choice to match up with the fruit juices and elderflower liqueur.

The Parisian Orchid started with St. Germain and pineapple notes on the nose, and both flavors were present in the first part of the sip. On the swallow, the lemon and the gin's botanicals completed the flavor profile. The lemon helped to balance the sweetness of the St. Germain somewhat; however, as the drink warmed up, it proceeded to get much sweeter. I could see how the drink would function rather well as a vodka drink, but my presumption that the gin would synergize with the St. Germain and fruit juice flavors might have been right (although the true experiment would be to taste both recipes side by side).

No comments: