Thursday, August 19, 2010

tequila mockingbird

2 oz Mezcal Vida
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Agave Nectar
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with. Strain into a rocks glass and garnish with 10 drops of Peychaud's Bitters. Draw designs in the bitters drops using a toothpick or thin straw.
On Wednesday last week, Andrea and I traveled over to Drink in Fort Point to celebrate Graham's birthday. For my first cocktail, bartender Bryn Tattan wanted to make me a drink she has been working on, the Tequila Mockingbird. The drink had an attractive design on the egg white foam akin to a barista's latte art. The sip started with a smooth agave flavor coupled with light lime notes; this was followed by a decent smoky signature on the swallow. Overall, the drink was refreshingly light and simple like a Pisco Sour, albeit one with a more flavorful spirit.

1 comment:

Sunny&Rummy said...

I had tried this cocktail when you first posted it in August, but Monte Alban was the only mezcal I had and I presumed my version didn't begin to approach the smoothness of the Del Maguey Vida version. I revisited the cocktail again using only 1 oz of Monte Alban along with 1 oz Casadores reposado tequila and the result was very agreeable — very pisco sour like you noted.

Fast forward to this past Sunday when a local favorite spirits shop went out of business (boo!) and I picked up a bottle of Del Maguey Santo Domingo Albarradas mescal for a song (yay!). Armed with a quality mescal I immediately revisited this drink. Excellent!