Sunday, August 29, 2010

royal james punch

1/2 Lime
1/2 tsp Turbinado Sugar
1 oz Dark Rum
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 oz Cherry Heering
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Cut lime half into 4 pieces and muddle with sugar in a rock glass until the sugar is dissolved. Add rest of ingredients and stir to mix. Fill with crushed ice.
For Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night a week and a half ago, the theme was "Unclear" such that all the ingredients needed some sort of color or cloudiness to them. For a drink idea, my eyes drifted over to the bottle of Cherry Heering, and this was coupled with the idea of muddling lime quarters and sugar like in a Caipirinha. To stick with the theme, I chose dark rum, sweet vermouth, and Angostura Bitters to increase the color quotient in the drink. Since the drink had rum, vermouth, and bitters like a Pirate Cocktail, I named the drink after a famous pirate ship captained by Ignatius Pell, the Royal James. One of the Mixoloseum guests, Sunny&Rummy, who made the drink commented, "The Royal James is an interesting drink. I quite like dark rum and sweet vermouth together. And the cherry liqueur gives it some depth. [It was] tart on first taste, but my taste buds recalibrated and it's sipping very easy."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This drink is really good! Each of the flavors is there but they combine well. Although mine is way darker than yours, almost coke colored.

frederic said...

Thanks! Probably due to rum choice. I can't recall exactly what I used but I'm guessing it was Lemon Hart 80.