Wednesday, February 2, 2011

dead man's mule

1 oz Orgeat
1 oz Kübler Absinthe
1/2 oz St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram
1/2 of a Lime (in wedges)

Muddle lime wedges in the bottom of a copper mug. Add rest of ingredients, fill with crushed ice, and top with ginger beer. Add straws.

For my final drink, bartender Joe Staropoli who was working at the ice bar mentioned to Tyler that I had considered the Dead Man's Mule last time I was at Drink. That time I passed it up in favor of The Old Man, the Monk, and the Sea, but this time I was game and it seemed like a good transition from the Johan Goes to Mexico. After Tyler made me the drink, Joe came by and relayed the drink's history. About two months ago, a dozen guys from Copenhagen showed up to the bar, and a pair of them requested this drink from him. Joe was a little taken aback by the request and with bar manager John Gertsen's assistance, they adapted the recipe given Drink's ingredients. Since the original calls for Goldschläger cinnamon schnapps, which Drink lacks, they replaced it with allspice dram and were rather pleased with the results.
The Dead Man's Mule greeted the nose with anise from the absinthe and ginger from the soda. The sip was the classic lime and orgeat pairing found in many Tiki drinks, while the swallow was absinthe, allspice, and ginger notes all residing in harmony with each other. While the drink was spicy, it was a lot less intense that I first expected given the ingredients and proportions.

6 comments:

EvergreenDan said...

Becherovka might make for an interesting sub, too. Cinnamon and ginger seems like an area ripe for exploration. Thanks for the cocktail.

frederic said...

I don't think Drink has Becherovka but it could work. Allspice does work well with orgeat and lime though. I was wondering if Benedictine could fly as a sub as well.

Tony Harion said...

sounds like a pretty potent combination (flavor wise).

Unknown said...

Haha, I was one of the guys from Copenhagen that ordered this cocktail the first time around. Found this site because I was looking for the recipe :)

I was really really impressed by their interpretation.

Unknown said...

Doesn't this have ginger beer too?

frederic said...

Instructions mention topping this with ginger beer. Perhaps an ounce or 1.5 would do.