Friday, June 10, 2011

[brautigan]

2 oz Rittenhouse 100 Rye
1/2 oz Galliano l'Autentico
2 oz Orange Juice

Build in a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with an orange twist and add a straw.
For my second drink at Rendezvous last week, bartender Scott Holliday said he was tinkering with the Slow Comfortable Screw Against The Wall-like drinks and tried to give some glory to the fallen genre. When Scott said that he thought about the Richard Brautigan poem "Fuck me like fried potatoes" instead of a Wallbanger or other, I was intrigued.
Fuck Me Like Fried Potatoes
by Richard Brautigan

Fuck me like fried potatoes
on the most beautifully hungry
morning of my God-damn life.
So would this drink make a good breakfast drink on that most beautiful morning? The drink started with an orange and vanilla aroma and these notes followed in the sip. The swallow contained the whiskey's heat and the Galliano's spice especially the star anise. The Rittenhouse Rye contributed a lot of flavor and backbone to the drink that the classic Harvey Wallbanger sadly lacks. In a way, the drink reminded me a bit of the Monkey Gland with the orange and herbal notes, especially since I had watched Robert Hess' video about that drink earlier that day.

No comments: