Thursday, February 23, 2012

capetown

2/3 jigger Swedish Punsch (1 1/2 oz Kronan)
2 dash Sherry (1/2 oz Lustau East India Solera)
2 dash Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist garnish.
Tuesday last week, I wanted to experiment some more with the Kronan Swedish Punsch after enjoying the Green Line. Within the rum section of Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933, I found the Capetown; given the name, I was surprised that it did not contain the defunct South African quinquina Caperitif that is often found in similarly names drinks. The Capetown offered an orange and lemon aroma that led in a lemon and grape sip. On the swallow, the Swedish Punsch's funky spice, rum, and Batavia Arrack notes were balanced by the rich sherry; overall, the Punsch and the sherry were a novel combination for me and I was impressed at how well they worked together.

No comments: