Monday, February 13, 2012

they shall inherit the earth

1/3 Brandy (1 oz Pedro Domecq Fundador Solera Reserva)
1/3 Lemon Juice (1 oz)
1/6 Cointreau (1/2 oz)
1/6 Benedictine (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist.

Friday night after dinner, I was browsing Esquire's The Art of Mixing Drinks and spotted a drink I had made years ago before I started writing for the blog. The drink was created by author Morley Callaghan, and he named it after his novel, They Shall Inherit the Earth. The book was written in 1935 about a father and son's tribulations during the Great Depression, but I could not find any information about when the drink itself was actually created. Apparently, Morley was concerned later in life that he would be remembered solely for knocking down the larger Ernest Hemingway in a boxing match in Paris refereed by F. Scott Fitzgerald. While I have read none of his books (and thus living up to his fears), I will try to tack on this Sidecar variation onto his boxing prowess.
The They Shall Inherit the Earth began with an orange oil aroma with a hint of lemon notes which mirrored the sip containing lemon juice and orange liqueur flavors. Next, the swallow presented the brandy mixed with the herbal notes of the Benedictine and ended with a tart lemon note. While it was a drier, more complex Sidecar, it reminded me more of the apple brandy Honeymoon Cocktail that Ted Haigh unearthed in his Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails book.

No comments: