Monday, July 30, 2012

unicorn blood

1 1/2 oz Patrón Añejo Tequila
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
1/4 oz Bénédictine
3 dash Peychaud’s Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Wednesdays ago, Andrea and I went to Trina's Starlite Lounge for dinner. For a first drink, I requested the humorously named Unicorn Blood from the menu. With aged tequila, aromatized wine, Bénédictine, and bitters, it reminded me of their rum-based Tony Montana that I tried two years ago there. Bartender Beau Sturm described how many bartenders have a hard time making añejo tequila shine, but this combination created by Patrick Gaggiano really pleased him.
The Unicorn Blood presented a tequila aroma and offered up a light citrus sip. On the swallow, the tequila-herbal Bénédictine pairing worked rather well and was complemented by the anise notes of the Peychaud's Bitters. Moreover, I got a chocolate note from the Bénédictine that fit in splendidly with these flavors.


beau said...

Our bartender, Patrick Gaggiano came up with the Unicorn Blood (for the record)

frederic said...

Thanks! I've updated the post.