Thursday, February 26, 2015

lake union

1 1/4 oz Rittenhouse 100 Rye
3/4 oz Old Monk Rum
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Caffè Borghetti
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with lemon oil.

Two Mondays ago, I ventured down to West Bridge after work. There, I was surprised when I spotted one of my old coworkers, Adam Palmer, behind the stick. For a first drink, I asked Adam for the Lake Union that he mentioned was Mike Fleming's creation. I was definitely curious to see how Cynar and coffee flavors would play out; despite it seemingly like such a natural pairing, I cannot recall a drink that did so. I do regret not finding out the secret to the name, but there is a famous Lake Union in the middle of Seattle, Washington, one of the coffee capitals of the country.
Once mixed, the Lake Union offered a bright lemon aroma that later shifted to darker notes from the rum and liqueurs. Next, a caramel-driven sip gave way to rye spice contrasting the dark rum and Cynar's herbal flavors on the swallow. Finally, the drink finished with coffee, allspice, clove, and char notes.

No comments: