Tuesday, September 1, 2015

quaker

2/3 Ice in glass
Jigger Jamaican Rum (1 1/2 oz Denizen 8 Year)
2 dash Apricot Brandy (1/2 oz Rothman & Winter)
Juice 1 Lime (1/2 oz)
2 dash Raspberry Syrup (1/2 oz Royal Rose)

The recipe lacks preparation instructions so I shook with ice and strained in a rocks glass with crushed ice. It does say to decorate with slices of orange, but here I used lime.

Two Wednesdays ago, I turned to Pioneer of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 to start the cocktail hour. There, I spotted the Quaker in the rum section; I had passed over this recipe before because I figured that it was a variation on (or predecessor of) the Quaker's Cocktail from Harry McElhone's 1927 Barflies & Cocktails. As I considered the two recipes, the only overlap was the rum and raspberry syrup; however, one used lemon and the other lime, and one split the spirit with brandy and the other flavored things with apricot. Perhaps the two are closer if the Quaker's apricot brandy is actually dry eau de vie instead of sweet liqueur as I opted for. This time, the recipe reminded me of a Periodista with raspberry in place of the triple sec, and I decided to give it a go regardless of the other drink entry in the collection here.
The Quaker began with a fresh lime and vaguely fruity funk of an aroma. The lime notes continued on into the sip where they mingled with hints of berry and orchard fruit, and the swallow broadcasted the funky Jamaican rum that was pleasantly soothed by the apricot.

No comments: