Thursday, June 9, 2016

central standard swizzle

2 oz Aged Rum (El Dorado 5 Year)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Velvet Falernum
5 leaf Mint

Muddle mint leaves with falerum in a Collins glass. Add rest of the ingredients and crushed ice, and swizzle to mix and chill. Top with crushed ice, add a straw, and garnish with a generous amount of Angostura Bitters (4-5 dash) and mint (3 sprig).

Two Thursdays ago after my work shift, I turned to a recipe recently published by Imbibe Magazine that appeared like an interesting riff on the Queen's Park Swizzle. The drink created by Austin's Central Standard was their eponymous Central Standard Swizzle and seemed like an excellent use of my wood swizzle stick that I got as a thank you present from Angostura for representing them at the Blender Bender.
The Central Standard Swizzle gave forth mint and clove spice notes to the nose. Next, lemon and the aged rum's caramel on the sip transitioned to rum, clove, and mint on the swallow.

2 comments:

Mystère said...

Hi. Quick question. Do you make your own falernum ?

frederic said...

No, not yet. I mostly use Velvet Falernum. And I briefly used BG Reynold's (was sent a sample). Falernum and all spice dram are two that I right now buy. I do make my own orgeat and other syrups though.