Wednesday, September 25, 2019

belle of broadway

1/2 Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Sazerac)
1/4 Crème Yvette (1/2 oz)
1/4 French Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.

After returning home from my whirlwind trip to Mexico late two Wednesdays ago, I was in the mood for a nightcap. Therefore, I selected the Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 as guidance. The recipe that opened my eyes was the Belle of Broadway which was most likely named after the 1926 American silent romantic drama film that perfectly fits into the book's time frame. I had previously made the sweet vermouth version called the Caboose and the Scotch (and orange bitters) version called the Lucifer, and it reminded me of the Lord Sheffield that I crafted in 2013 and named after the Sheffield Company of Connecticut who originally produced Crème Yvette.

The Belle of Broadway flirted with the nose with orange, dark berry, and violet aromas. Next, a currant-like note on the sip pranced into rye, blackberry, violet, and vanilla flavors on the swallow. Overall, surprising quite pleasant especially with my alteration of the liqueur and dry vermouth levels.

No comments: