Saturday, September 28, 2019

tango

1/4 wineglass Bacardi (1 1/2 oz Uruapan Charanda Blanco)
Juice 1 Lime (3/4 oz)
2 dash Curaçao (1/4 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry)
2 dash Grenadine (1/4 oz)
1 dash Picon (1/4 oz Torani Amer)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Saturdays ago, I selected Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 from my bookshelf after returning home from my bar shift. There, I spotted the Tango; I had previously skipped over this recipe for it shares the name with a pair of more famous ones in the Savoy Cocktail Book called the apple brandy-based Tango #1 and the rum-based Tango #2 (Wayne Curtis' Cynar variation is a great modern riff of the latter). This Tango was an Daiquiri variation with a trio of sweeteners: curaçao, grenadine, and Amer Picon. Once prepared, this Tango danced to the nose with lime, orange, grapefruit, and grassy rum aromas. Next, a lime and berry sip led into a funky rum, bitter orange, and berry flavors on the swallow.

No comments: