Tuesday, July 5, 2022

electric kool-aid acid test

1 1/2 oz Peloton de la Muerte Mezcal
3/4 oz Amontillado Sherry
3/4 oz Strawberry Syrup
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
For my second drink at Brick & Mortar, I asked bartender Nic Mansur for the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test named after Tom Wolfe's 1968 beat generation work of nonfiction. The ingredients reminded me of the Speaking in Tongues that they served me there as a modification of Mike Ryan's recipe at Sable given the overlap of mezcal, strawberry, and lemon. The presence of Amontillado also made me think of the many sherry drinks that I have had at Brick & Mortar over the years -- the blog indicates that 10 of the 73 drink entries previous to this visit contained some form of that fortified wine. In the glass, the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test proffered strawberry, vegetal, and smoke aromas to the senses. Next, a semi-dry lemon and grape sip tripped out into smoky agave, nutty grape, and berry flavors on the swallow.

No comments: