Wednesday, March 7, 2012

[caribbean corpse reviver]

3/4 oz Banks Rum
3/4 oz House Tropical Vermouth (*)
3/4 oz Velvet Falernum
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Bittermens Tiki Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
(*) Infused with lemon peel and kiwi fruit. In a pinch, bianco vermouth or perhaps Lillet might work as a substitute for the sweet citrus notes. Tri2Cook left a comment that they had good success speed infusing Noilly Prat with lemon zest and kiwi via a cream whipper an N2O.
After the L'Amérique at Eastern Standard, bartender Seth Freidus wanted to showcase one of his new works-in-progress. Based off of a Corpse Reviver #2, this Tiki cocktail utilizes the tropical citrus vermouth that the bar has recently crafted. The drink started with a clove and allspice aroma that led into a sweet citrus sip. The swallow began with rum and spices from the falernum and bitters and ended with fruit notes including the lime's crispness. As the drink warmed up, it became a bit more tart and clove-driven.

Update 4/25/12:  A rather similar sounding drink just appeared on the Eastern Standard menu called the Chaconia.  I am unsure if the recipe changed but the menu listed the ingredient as "tropical citrus vermouth, 5 Island Rum, Lime, bitters."

2 comments:

Tri2Cook said...

I enjoyed this. I tossed Noilly Prat, lemon zest and kiwi in a cream whipper and used n2o to extract the flavors into the vermouth. Hopefully that put me somewhere on the same planet flavor-wise compared to the original. Regardless, it was tasty.

frederic said...

Nice! I'm going to tack that on to the post. I didn't even think of N2O speed infusions.

I wish I had asked for a taste of the vermouth (I will next time) but it was towards the end of the evening.