Wednesday, May 7, 2014

scarecrow

1 1/2 oz Amaro Montenegro
1 1/4 oz Four Roses Bourbon
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
1 dash Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Twist an orange peel over the top.

Two Fridays ago, we made our way over to Backbar and luckily found a pair of seats at the bar. On the menu, I spotted the Scarecrow that one of my guests had mentioned to me; therefore, I asked bartender Lukas to mix one up. Later, bar manager Sam Treadway described how a bartender named Jonathan from the Dorrance in Rhode Island wanted an Amaro Montenegro-forward libation, so Sam proposed a 50:50 Manhattan variation, and Jonathan countered with adding a splash of Fernet. When it came time to dub the cocktail, Sam remembered that Jonathan's nickname was Scarecrow, and it stuck.
The Scarecrow began with an orange oil aroma that complemented the citrus notes stemming from the Amaro Montenegro. Next, a malty, caramel, and mandarine sip gave way to Bourbon, herbal, and menthol flavors on the swallow. Overall, I could see why this inverse Manhattan variation was so noteworthy to my bar guest the week prior.

1 comment:

JS said...

My original version is a bit more intense than the one Sam uses (way more fernet and bitters in mine) but I'm forever indebted to him for putting it on his menu. People came in to the Dorrance asking for me to make it for them based on the fact that he talked me up. One of the nicest guys in the business.