Sunday, September 10, 2017

harry's pick-me-up

1 glass Brandy (1 1/2 oz Copper & Kings American Brandy)
Juice 1/2 Lemon (1/2 oz)
1 tsp Grenadine (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice, strain into a wine glass, and fill with Champagne (2 oz Willm Blanc de Blancs); I added a lemon twist.
To close out Sunday night two weeks ago, I ventured into Harry & Wynn's 1927 Barflies & Cocktails to continue my sparkling wine cocktail run. The one I selected was Harry's Pick-Me-Up crafted by Harry McElhone in Paris in any one of the bars that he worked in or helped open during the 1920s. It was one of the recipes that I had spotted in A Spot at the Bar when I made the Fortune Cocktail on Friday night, and I opted to add the lemon twist to Harry's Pick-Me-Up that the newer book included in their recipe. Overall, the combination reminded me of an old Russell House Tavern recipe, and bar manager Sam Gabrielli crafted his as a riff on the Jack Rose and named it after his sister. I remember when one of the rather new bartenders came up to me during a shift confused about how to fulfill a request for a French 75; I explained that he already knew how to make the drink: just plug in gin (or Cognac) and simple syrup into the Emily Rose that was on the menu. That made his day!
Emily Rose by Sam Gabrielli, Russell House Tavern, 2014
• 2 oz Laird's Applejack
• 1/2 oz Grenadine
• 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
Shake with ice, strain into a flute glass, top off with ~2 oz sparkling wine, and garnish with a lemon swath.
The Harry's Pick-Me-Up gave forth a lemon and brandy nose that preceded a crisp, carbonated lemon and berry sip. Next, the brandy came through on the swallow along with pomegranate and dry white wine notes.

No comments: