Sunday, April 15, 2018

coats house

2/3 Rye Whiskey (2 oz Old Overholt)
1/6 Sherry (1/2 oz Lustau Amontillado)
1/6 French Vermouth (1/2 oz Dolin Blanc)
1 dash Crème de Noyaux (1 bsp Tempus Fugit)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Sundays ago, I ventured into Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for an intriguing gem that I have somehow passed over through the years. There, I stumbled upon the Coats House that seemed like it would be an interesting Manhattan riff with perhaps a nutty sherry pairing the with the crème de noyaux. I probably skipped over this recipe when I interpreted French vermouth as dry vermouth, but with blanc vermouth as an option, I could use a drier sherry instead of opting for Pedro Ximenez as the sweetener. My search for what the drink could be named after yielded a historic English-style cottage in North Carolina that was built around 1860; while the house was important enough for a Wikipedia entry, was it important enough to have a drink named after it?
In the glass, the Coats House proffered a nutty apricot bouquet to the nose. Next, malt and grape on the sip slid into rye, nutty, and floral flavors on the swallow with an orchard fruit and clove spice finish.

No comments: