Saturday, April 7, 2018

caldwell

2/3 Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
1/6 Applejack (3/4 oz Boulard VSOP)
1/6 French Vermouth (3/4 oz Dolin Blanc)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist to the recipe.
For a nightcap two Saturdays ago, I returned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 where I uncovered the Caldwell. The Caldwell's split rye and applejack base in a Manhattan-like format reminded me of more modern drinks that I have had like P.D.T.'s Harvest Moon, so I was willing to give it a go. I probably skipped over this recipe when I previously interpreted the call for French vermouth as the dry variety, but with blanc vermouth, this combination had a more tempting balance. In the glass, the Caldwell greeted the nose with whiskey and bright orange oil notes that trailed away to show apple aromas. Next, sweet white grape and malt on the sip slid into rye and apple on the swallow with an allspice finish that had alternating whiskey and apple flavors lingering on the end.

No comments: