Monday, August 6, 2018

don lockwood

1 oz Smoky Islay Scotch (Laphroaig 10 Year)
1 oz Bourbon (Fighting Cock 103)
3/8 oz Maple Syrup
2 dash Chocolate Bitters (Bittermens)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Build in a double old fashioned glass, add rock ice, stir, and garnish with a long orange twist.
Two Mondays ago, I was in the mood for a straight spirits nightcap, so I looked into Amanda Schuster's New York Cocktails for a solution. There, I was drawn in by Abraham Hawkins' split spirit Old Fashioned called the Don Lockwood that he crafted at Dutch Kills. The name appears to be a tribute to Gene Kelly's character in the 1952 movie Singing in the Rain. Once prepared, the Don Lockwood began with an orange and seaweed-medicinal peat smoke on the nose. Next, maple's richness on the sip transitioned into Bourbon and smoky Scotch on the swallow with maple spiced with chocolate and allspice on the finish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laphroaig is my fasvorite whiskey. Even though I detest sweetened whiskey, I'm tempted to try this (substituting Maker's Mark for the bourbon).