Friday, April 5, 2019

improved sherry cocktail

2 1/2 oz Fino Sherry (Lustau)
1/2 oz Amontillado Sherry (Lustau)
1/4 oz Simple Syrup (1:1)
3/4 tsp Maraschino Liqueur (1/8 oz Luxardo)
1/8 tsp Absinthe (20 drop St. George)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)
2 dash Angostura Bitters
2 drop 1:10 Salt Solution (1 small pinch salt)

Stir with ice, strain into a sherry glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Fridays ago, I was in the mood for something on the lighter side when I got home to round out my work evening. When my mind turned to sherry, I remembered having bookmarked the Improved Sherry Cocktail. That recipe was created by Christy Pope and Chad Solomon at Dallas' Midnight Rambler and was later published in December 2014 in Imbibe Magazine. Here, a two sherry Old Fashioned was Improved 1876 style with Maraschino and absinthe. Once prepared, the Improved Sherry Cocktail welcomed the nose with a lemon aroma over nutty notes from the Amontillado sherry and Maraschino liqueur. Next, a semi-dry grape sip gave way to more grape flavors with nuttiness from the Amontillado and Maraschino on the swallow with a cherry and anise swallow. Overall, the proportions were a bit lighter on the absinthe that I usually prefer, but it was indeed a delightful tipple to end my evening.

No comments: