Thursday, April 4, 2019

muertito vivo

1 1/2 oz Flor de Caña 7 Year Rum (Diplomatico Añejo)
1/2 oz Hamilton's 151 Proof Demerara Rum (Lemon Hart 151)
3/4 oz Jagermeister
3/4 oz Don's Mix (BG Reynolds) (*)
3/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a skull mug or double old fashioned glass (shell mug), and fill with pebble ice (crushed ice). Garnish with a cinnamon stick and an edible flower (cinnamon stick and a pineapple leaf).
(*) 1/2 oz grapefruit juice + 1/4 oz cinnamon syrup.
Two Thursdays ago, my copy of Shannon Mustipher's Tiki: Modern Tropical Cocktails arrived, and I quickly flipped through the pages to find something to make after my work shift. When I spotted Shannon's Zombie riff called the Muertito Vivo, I was intrigued. The use of Jagermeister for its Tiki-appropriate spices was one of the things that drew me in -- especially after trying Sother Teague's Rough Seas and tinkering with it myself in the Lost U-Boat. Once prepared, the Muertito Vivo brought the senses back to life with cinnamon and star anise aromas. Next, lime, grapefruit, and caramel on the sip lurched into rum, cinnamon, chocolate, ginger, and anise flavors on the swallow.

3 comments:

Tom in Boston said...

If I come into Nahita, will you make me a Jaeger tiki-drink? It's like being transported to 1955 California and to 1997 Sophomore Year in high school all at once.

frederic said...

Unfortunately, Nahita doesn't have Jager, and after this past weekend, I have left the company.

Unknown said...

That’s a shame. I am working through your non-Campari and non-Aperol amaro cocktails on the site, so just a word of gratitude. When you find your next bar home I will be there to chat and drink!

Tom