Sunday, October 20, 2019

fancy rye

3/4 Rye Whiskey (2 oz Sazerac)
1/4 Cointreau (1/4 oz)
1 dash Orgeat (1/4 oz)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.
Two Sundays ago, it was time to cap off the weekend with a final cocktail, so I turned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933. There, I spotted the Fancy Rye cocktail that had the requisite orange liqueur to fit into Jerry Thomas' 1862 Fancy Cocktail formula albeit with more than the usual dash or two. I toned down the Cointreau and made it equal to the other sweetener, namely orgeat; moreover, the orgeat in an Old Fashioned cocktail format reminded me of a Japanese Cocktail. Once prepared, the Fancy Rye greeted the nose with an orange oil and whiskey aroma. Next, a creamy malt sip slid into rye, nutty, and orange flavors on the swallow with a clove and allspice finish.

No comments: